While learning the piano may seem difficult, an aspirant can easily master the craft if he has dedication, willingness and a positive attitude. There are various piano academies and professional teachers that offer beginner lessons to people across all ages. The beginner piano lessons will start with teaching about the layout of the various keys and notes on the keyboard. The lessons will also cover techniques of correct hand position, fingering, and most essentially the names of the various keys. If you follow the lessons thoroughly, you will slowly and steadily master the craft of playing the piano.
The following are some of the topics that are covered within piano lessons for beginners:
Lesson 1: This lesson covers the names of the keys and notes that constitute the layout of the keyboard.
Lesson 2: Sitting position: This lesson covers the basics of reading the notes from the score and finding them on the keyboard.
Lesson 3: Proper posturing of the hand: This lesson teaches all about the best hand postures that one must adopt in order to play with less effort and correct body to keyboard weight distribution.
Lesson 4: How to play the black keys (flats and sharps): This particular lesson inculcates in piano aspirants the importance of the black keys on the keyboard. This lesson will essentially coach you about the layout of the black keys, finger numbers, and ways in which the black keys can be used while playing the pieces.
Lesson 5: How to play the white keys: The next lesson is pertaining to the white keys. This lesson guides the piano aspirant through the various warm-up exercises that he needs to go through in order to bring the white keys perfectly under grasp. Once the usage of the white keys is mastered, the piano student can start playing several easy classical pieces by various composers like Mozart and Beethoven.
Lesson 6: Intervals and Exercises: This lesson will teach you the five major finger exercises on the white keys and the use or rests in the music.
Lesson 7: How to create improvisation using fifths: This particular lesson covers the techniques of using fifths to create beautiful, easy and melodious improvisational pieces.
Lesson 8: Read musical notes: This lesson will inculcate the methods of learning how to read music while playing the instrument. One cannot play musical pieces if he/she does not master the skill of reading sheet music.
Lesson 9: Playing scales: This lesson covers tips and strategies to learn the techniques of scale practicing. Scale practice is an indispensable foundation of the art of piano playing and good piano technique.
Some of the vital aspects that are included in the curriculum of the piano lessons for beginners are the following:
- The notes of the white keys and blacks keys
- Piano keyboard arrangement
- Sharps and flats
- Values of the notes
- Rhythms and different rhythmical patterns
- The music staff, treble clef and bass clef
- Ledger lines
- Technical work: scales, exercises, studies etc.
- Exercises and techniques to improve memorising skills
- Aspects of emotional development while playing
The classical method of playing the piano is strictly a technique, focus and expression based strategy whereby the principles involved in the lessons must be carefully followed. As a piano-student, the learner is thoroughly trained in technical details, such as, rhythm, pulse, chords, scales etc. Some of the key technical aspects covered in the courses include:
- Sharps and Flats on the Staff
- The Music Staff, Treble Clef and Bass Clef
- Ledger Lines
- Primary Scales on Piano
- Basic Piano Chords
- The Notes of the White Keys and the Black Keys
- Piano Keyboard Arrangement
- Sharps and Flats
- Crucial inner skills: Along with technical training, the experts at the music academies teach students the art of nurturing certain emotional and mental skills. These skills enable the learners to engage with a musical piece at a deeper level. The emphasis is given in this area as a truly expressive performance is not just based on technical proficiency but also on playing the right sequence at the right speed.
- Building agility, strength and endurance of fingers: Special and personalised attention is needed to be given to any aspiring pianist so that he/she is able to master the craft of playing the piano pieces with great accuracy. Sound technique builds the foundation for any good piano playing.
- Mastering sight- reading: The experts at the piano teaching academies also help the beginners develop sight-reading on a regular basis. It is a crucial skill that needs to be mastered in order to start learning new pieces faster.
The piano lessons offered as part of the beginner’s course are crafted to offer a holistic and personalised coaching to aspiring pianists. This allows them to foster the required skills in the shortest time frame possible.